PROVIDENCE, R.I. – Isaiah Bellamy '18 of the 18th-ranked Wesleyan University wrestling team was named to the NEWA All-Tournament Team as he helped guide the Cardinals to a seventh-place finish at the 2018 NEWA Duals at the Providence Career & Technical Academy Sunday. Wesleyan went 2-2 on the day with wins over Trinity (43-5) and Springfield (22-18), while falling to No. 20 Coast Guard (23-22) and Southern Maine (22-18).
- Bellamy (285) and Devon Carrillo '17E (197) each went 4-0 on the day while Carrillo earned four pins and Bellamy recorded two. Additionally, James Matias '19 went 3-1 at 141, Carter Armendarez '18 finished 3-1 at 149, and Dominic Pirraglia '18 recorded a 3-1 record at 174.
- In round one, the Cardinals claimed all but one match against the Bantams en route to a decisive 43-5 victory. Simon Chee '21, Carrillo and Bellamy each pinned their opponents at 184 (4:26), 197 (3:42) and 285 (1:42), respectively.
- Wesleyan was narrowly edged by Coast Guard in round two, 23-22. The Cardinals earned five wins from Amir Daouk '20, Matias, Armendarez, Carrillo and Bellamy. Trailing 23-10, Carrillo and Bellamy each pinned their opponents to cut the deficit to one. Carrillo pinned Kayne Robert in 1:10 and Bellamy pinned Cory Tomasetti in 4:58.
- Armendarez, Ed Pierce '18, Pirraglia, Carrillo and Bellamy picked up the Wesleyan wins in a 22-18 loss against Southern Maine in round three.
- In the seventh-place match against Springfield, the Cardinals were led by Matias, Pierce, Pirraglia, Carrillo and Bellamy. After a pin by Carrillo in 1:04 put Wesleyan ahead 20-18, Bellamy sealed the win with a 5-2 decision.
- The Cardinals are back in action Saturday, Jan. 27 and will host Springfield at 6:30 p.m.