MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University wrestling team went a perfect 3-0 on Sunday afternoon in Silloway Gymnasium with wins over AIC (47-6), No. 16 Brockport (27-11), and Norwich (43-9). Prior to today's matches, the Cardinals honored their six-member senior class—Carter Armendarez, Isaiah Bellamy, Devon Carrillo, Ed Pierce, Dominic Pirraglia, and Matt Winchester.
With three dual match wins on "Senior Day", Wesleyan improves to 12-7 overall. AIC is now 0-15, Brockport improves to 9-2, and Norwich now stands at 5-11.
- Carrillo—who entered the day with the most pins in the country (19)—added one more to his total as he went 2-1 on the day to improve to 31-2 on the year. His lone loss was an 8-2 decision against Triston Engle, the No. 7 ranked wrestler in Division III. Carrillo ranks No. 6 at 197.
- Bellamy was second in the country behind Carrillo with 18 pins prior to today, and in his lone match Sunday, he pinned Austin Dean of Brockport in 1:10. Bellamy is now 28-2 overall and is the fourth-ranked HWT in the country.
- Junior James Matias and freshman Simon Chee were both a perfect 3-0 on the day. Matias wrestled at 141 and earned a technical fail, a major decision, and a decision. Chee, at 184, picked up one pin, a major decision, and a decision.
- Pierce finished 2-0 at 157 and also won by forfeit. He registered one pin on the day.
- Armendarez was 2-0 at 149 and Pirraglia pinned Tim Collins of Brockport in his only match of the day. He also won two matches by forfeit at 174.
- Wesleyan is back in action next Sunday, Feb. 18 at the NEWA Futures Tournament hosted by Roger Williams before the Northeast Regional Championships take place Feb. 24-25 at WPI.