WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. – The Wesleyan University wrestling team went 2-3 overall at the Budd Whitehill Duals, hosted by Lycoming College, to finish 10th overall. The two-day event took place at Lamade Gym as the Cardinals went 1-2 on Day 1 followed by a 1-1 performance on Saturday, with victories over SUNY-Cortland (20-19) and Little Three rival Williams (31-9).
Zack Murillo (125), Shane Ross (149), and Roy Forys (165) led the way for Wesleyan as they all went 4-1 at the two-day tournament. Additionally, Aaron Goldman (157), Marco Gaita (174), and Simon Chee (197) all posted winning records in five matches as they finished 3-2.
DAY 1 HIGHLIGHTS:
- After back-to-back losses to No. 23 Messiah (23-18) and Wisconsin-Stevens Point (27-14)-who finished second overall-respectively, the Cardinals ended the day on a strong note by defeating SUNY-Cortland, 20-19.
- Murillo, Ross, Goldman, Forys, and Gaita all picked up wins in the victory over the Red Dragons.
- Murillo pinned Benjarmin Lloyd in 49 seconds, while Ross won by Technical Fall (16-1), and Goldman, Forys, and Gaita each won by decision.
- Ross, Goldman, Forys, Gaita, and Chee all went 2-1 on the day. Murillo also finished 2-1, which included a forfeit in the Wisconsin-Stevens Point match.
- Following a 1-2 day, Wesleyan was placed in the 9-12th place bracket for Saturday.
DAY 2 HIGHLIGHTS:
- In their first match of the day, the Cardinals cruised to a commanding 31-9 win over their archrival Williams.
- Wesleyan won eight of 10 matches, including a forfeit at 285, as Chee highlighted the victory with a 16-1 Technical Fall over Bennett Caplin.
- With the win, the Cardinals were placed in the first-place match of their bracket but came up short against the host school, Lycoming, 25-15.
- Murillo, Stetson, Ross, and Forys all won their matches as Stetson claimed his victory with a pin in 4:23.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Sunday, Jan. 20 and will compete at the NEWA Dual Championships at the Providence Career and Technical Academy beginning at 10 a.m.