PROVIDENCE, R.I. - The Wesleyan University wrestling team finished sixth overall at the NEWA Dual Championships hosted by Johnson & Wales at the Rhode Island Convention Center in Providence, R.I. on Sunday.
The host school, No. 2 Johnson & Wales, won the championship with a 31-9 victory over No. 24 Coast Guard in the finals. The Cardinals finished 1-2 on the day with a second round loss to Springfield, 17-15, followed by a commanding 39-9 win over in-state rival Trinity. Advancing to the fifth-place match, Wesleyan was edged by Castleton, 24-23.
- In the first match of the day, Wesleyan received wins from Zack Murillo (125), Shane Ross (149), Aaron Goldman (157), Roy Forys (165), and Simon Chee (197). Each wrestler won by decision as the Cardinals led 15-12, but the No. 8-ranked heavyweight, Joe Fusco, earned a pin in the final match to seal the victory for the Pride.
- In Round 3, Wesleyan cruised past Trinity as it won eight of the 10 matches. Murillo pinned Finn McGovern in 23 seconds to start things off. Duncan Kreutter (184) and Chee pinned their opponents as well in 3:50 and 1:55, respectively.
- In the fifth-place match, the Cardinals lost in the final matchup as they held a 23-18 lead after nine bouts. Murillo continued his dominance on the day as he pinned Owen Kretschmer in an incredible 16 seconds. Forys pinned Cameron Milliken in 3:56 and Chee put Wesleyan ahead by five with a 3-2 decision over Mithcell LaFlam, before Jesse Webb of Castleton sealed the win with a pin at 285.
- Murillo, Forys, and Chee all went a perfect 3-0 on the day.
- Wesleyan is back in action on Saturday, Jan. 26 for a dual-match at Springfield beginning at 7 p.m.