SPRINGFIELD, Mass. - The Wesleyan University wrestling team avenged a loss on Saturday night to regional rival Springfield College as the Cardinals claimed a 23-15 win over the Pride on the road.
Wesleyan, who had lost to Springfield 17-15 six days earlier, improved to 4-5 overall in dual matches this season. Springfield is now 9-6 on the year. Saturday night's match featured four bouts that were decided in overtime, which both team claiming two each.
- The Cardinals took the first two matches to go ahead 6-0. Zack Murillo (125) claimed the first OT bout with a 3-1 sudden-victory decision over Nicholas DeRosa. Tristan Stetson followed that up with an impressive 4-3 win over the second-ranked 133-pound wrestler in New England, Ian Tolotti.
- The Pride took 141 by sudden-victory decision to cut the deficit to 6-3.
- However, Wesleyan won the next three bouts. At 149, Shane Ross won the second-consecutive OT match with a 9-7 SV decision over Kearney Gutierrez, and Aaron Goldman took 157 with an 8-4 decision to increase the lead to 12-3 before Roy Forys pinned Derek Wilson in 2:16 at 165.
- Trailing 18-3, Springfield rallied with back-to-back decisions at 174 and 184 to get within eight with two matches to go.
- However, Simon Chee sealed the victory at 197 with a technical fall, 18-0 win in 4:31 over Ryan Gray.
- The Cardinals return to action on Sunday, Feb. 3 for a quad match at Ithaca College against Williams, SUNY Oneonta, and Ithaca.