PROVIDENCE, R.I. – The Wesleyan women's soccer team (7-4-2) cruised past Rhode Island College (6-8-1) on Tuesday evening, scoring five unanswered goals. Senior Lauren Goetzman netted a hat trick during the 5-0 win, while Freshman Shay Crotty recorded her first career-goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Cardinals wasted little time getting on the board, opening the scoring just 3:54 into the first stanza. Goetzman barreled down the right side of the field on a breakaway, before rifling the ball into the net for the 1-0 lead.
- Wesleyan's Andi Wiley made it a two-goal game at the 14:31 mark when she rocketed a shot past the host's goalkeeper Erica Edwards from 15 yards out.
- The Cardinals tacked on another tally at the 19:44 mark when Goetzman settled a throw-in by Julia Meehan, before finding nylon for the 3-0 advantage.
- The hosts had their best chance to score at the 28:03 mark, but Wesleyan's goalkeeper Sarah Hammond thwarted Olivia Capraro's opportunity.
- During the 33rd minute, Rhode Island College fired five shots over the ensuing five minutes hoping to get on the board. Unfortunately for the hosts, Hammond and the Cardinal defense held strong and preserved the three-goal lead heading into the intermission.
- Out of the break, Wesleyan extended its advantage to 4-0 when Goetzman tallied her third goal of the game at the 56:04 mark. With the score, Goetzman bested her single-season scoring record (5) and recorded a career-high goals scored in a single game (3).
- The Cardinals added their fifth and final goal at the 62:07 mark when Allie Goss sent a cross into the box from the left side, before Crotty used her head to redirect the ball into the back of the net.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Hammond recorded her second win in goal for the Cardinals, making six saves, while Edwards made six stops for the hosts.
- The Cardinals will celebrate Senior Day on Saturday when they entertain Amherst at noon on Jackson Field.