REDLANDS, Calif. – The 17th-ranked Wesleyan University women's tennis team opened its 2015-16 dual-match schedule with a pair of wins Thursday night over No. 19 Case Western Reserve, 8-1, followed by a 7-2 win over No. 21 University of Redlands.
Case Western Reserve: 5-2
CASE WESETERN RESERVE RESULTS
- Wesleyan swept doubles action, and went 5-1 in singles en route to the decisive 8-1 victory.
- In singles play, Eudice Chong '18, Victoria Yu '19 and Helen Klass-Warch '18 earned wins in No. 1, No. 2 and No. 3 singles, respectively. Chong cruised past Nithya Kanagasegar with scores of 6-1 and 6-0, Yu claimed wins of 6-4 and 6-1 over Jessica Liu, and Klass-Warch defeated Taylor Sweeney 6-3, 4-6 (10-0).
- Nicole McCann '18 earned a thrilling 6-4, 4-6 (10-5) win over Michelle Djohan in No. 5 singles, and Dasha Dubinsky '18 cruised to wins of 6-1, 6-3 in No. 6 singles over Jennifer Lowe.
- In doubles action, Chong and Aashi Budhiraja '18 took the No. 1 court with an 8-2 win. Yu and McCann were paired in No. 2 doubles and won 8-4, and the duo of Klass-Warch and Dubinsky claimed the No. 3 court, 8-2.
- For the second match in a row, Wesleyan swept doubles play. They would later claim 4-of-6 singles matches to earn the 7-2 win.
- Chong and Yu picked up two more singles victories from the No. 1 and No. 2 courts, respectively. Chong defeated Natalie Etchegaray by scores of 6-2, 6-3, and Yu claimed both sets, 6-2, over Emily Murnin.
- McCann and Dubinsky also went 2-0 in singles action on the day, as McCann claimed No. 5 singles by scores of 6-0, 5-7, 10-2, and Dubinsky won decisively in No. 6 singles, 6-1, 6-2.
- In doubles action, Chong and Budhiraja earned another win from the No. 1 spot as they defeated Etchegaray and Lauren Villanueva, 8-3.
- Yu and McCann won 8-4 in No. 2 doubles over Murnin and Elizabeth Johnson, and Klass-Warch and Dubinsky took No. 3 doubles by a score of 8-5 against Gabriela Vesquez and Kate Dolan.
- The Cardinals are back in action Monday, March 14 and will play Washington (Mo.) University in Claremont, Calif. at 2:30 p.m. ET.