Scores: Wesleyan 5, Emory 4
Records: Wesleyan (8-2); Emory (9-5)
Location: Medford, Mass. (@ Tufts University)
Date: Sunday, April 16
The Lead: On Sunday morning, the sixth-ranked Wesleyan University women's tennis team upset the defending national champions and No. 1 Emory University, 5-4, on the campus of Tufts. Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19 excelled as they cruised to wins over top-15 ranked singles players, and also knocked off the No. 1 doubles team together.
- The Cardinals won 2-of-3 doubles matches to take a lead entering singles play.
- Chong and Yu, ranked No. 4 in the country, defeated the top-ranked doubles team of Katarina Su and Bridget Harding by a score of 8-6.
- In No. 3 doubles, Helen Klass-Warch '18 and Nicole McCann '18 upset the 24th-ranked duo of Paula Castro and Michelle DeMeo, 8-6.
- Wesleyan won No. 1-3 singles convincingly over opponents ranked within the top-22 to claim the victory.
- Chong, ranked No. 3 in singles play, cruised to wins of 6-0, 6-2 at the top of the lineup against Harding, who currently ranks No. 1 in the country.
- In No. 2 singles, 15th-ranked Yu rolled past 12th-ranked Satterfield by scores of 6-2, 6-2.
- Aashli Budhiraja '18 shined as well and upset the 22nd-ranked singles player, Daniela Lopez, by scores of 6-0, 6-4.
HEAD COACH MIKE FRIED:
- "The women showed tremendous resiliency, bouncing back from a tough day yesterday to come out and beat the No. 1 team in the country today for the biggest win in program history!"
- The Cardinals return to the courts Thursday, April 20 and will host Conn. College in its regular-season home finale. The match is scheduled to start at 3:30 p.m.