Location: Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
Date: Thursday, May 25
The Lead: Eudice Chong '18 and Victoria Yu '19 of the Wesleyan University women's tennis team excelled in Day 1 action at the 2017 NCAA Division III Individual Championships as they each advanced to the quarterfinals in singles play, while also reaching the quarterfinals as a doubles tandem.
- In the Round of 32, Chong cruised to wins of 6-2, 6-0 over Sarah Ikioka of Redlands to advance to the Round of 16.
- Chong, the two-time defending national champion, followed up her first round performance with wins of 6-3, 6-3 over Maryann Zhao of Pomona-Pitzer.
- Yu dominated her Round of 32 match as she cruised to wins of 6-0, 6-1 against Lauren Hawley of Dension.
- In the Round of 16, she faced sixth-seeded Juli Raventos of Williams College – Chong's opponent in last year's finals match. Yu claimed a commanding 6-1 win in the first set, but Raventos rallied in the second to even that match at 1-1 with a 6-3 victory. In the third and final frame, Yu responded with a 6-3 win of her own to claim the match and knock off last year's runner-up.
- Chong and Yu continued their success later in the day, as they joined together for doubles action.
- The duo claimed the first set, 6-3, and swept the second set (6-0) against Kait Brogan and Taylor Diffley of Mary Washington to advance to the quarterfinals.
- Chong will compete in the singles quarterfinals tomorrow at 9 a.m. against Catherine Allen of Claremont-Mudd Scripps. Allen defeated Christina Puccinelli of Middlebury in the Round of 32 and Diana Aboudakare of Kenyon in the Round of 16. Chong and Allen have not met this season.
- Yu is scheduled to face third-seeded Caroline Casper of Pomona-Pitzer tomorrow at 9 a.m. as well. Casper reached the quarterfinals by defeating Ariana Iranpour of Chicago and Ashnaa Rao of Johns Hopkins. Yu and Casper have not faced each other this season.
- Chong will meet Allen again in doubles action later in the day, as Chong and Yu will play Allen and Kathleen Kuosman around 3 p.m.