Location: Chattanooga, Tenn. (Champions Club)
Date: Friday, May 26
The Lead: Eudice Chong '18 of the Wesleyan University women's tennis team returns to the NCAA Division III Singles Championship following two convincing wins on Friday, while Victoria Yu '19 reached the semifinals. In addition, the duo advanced to the doubles semifinals with a commanding win in the quarterfinal round later in the day.
- In her first match, No. 3 Chong faced 14th-ranked Catherine Allen of Claremont-Mudd-Scripps early in the morning, and the junior cruised to back-to-back 6-1 wins to advance to the semifinals.
- In the final four, she matched up against top-ranked Bridget Harding of Emory, and earned a commanding victory. Chong won the first set, 6-2, and swept the second, 6-0.
- Yu claimed a thrilling three-set win over No. 6 Caroline Casper of Pomona-Pitzer in the quarterfinals. Despite leading for much of the first, Yu saw her lead slip away as Casper rallied for a 7-6 win. However, Yu recovered nicely and won the second set, 6-3, before pulling away with a 6-0 sweep in the third and final set to advance to the semifinals.
- In the semifinals, 15th-ranked Yu met No. 4 Rebecca Ho of Washington University. The sophomore put up a great effort, but fell short as she lost both sets by scores of 6-3, 6-4.
- Chong and Yu, ranked No. 4 in the country in doubles, faced Kathleen Kuosman and Allen of Claremont-Mudd-Scripps in the quarterfinals.
- The dynamic duo routed their opponents with wins of 6-1, 6-2 to advance to the semifinals. It was Chong's second win against Allen on the day.
- Chong will face Ho in the NCAA Singles Championship tomorrow, May 27 at 10 a.m., as she looks for her third-consecutive national title.
- Paired alongside Yu in doubles action, the two are set to compete in the semifinals against Sarah Ikioka and Elizabeth Johnson of Redlands at 11:30 a.m. The doubles finals is scheduled to take place shortly after around 2 p.m.