The Wesleyan University women's tennis team enters the 2018 dual match spring season as the No. 8 team in the Oracle Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Division III National Team Rankings after posting a 12-5 record a year ago and reaching the third round of the NCAA Division III Championships for the second year in a row.
The Cardinals, coached by six-year head coach Mike Fried, are led by four-time NCAA Champion Eudice Chong. Last spring, Chong became the first Division III women's tennis player in the history of the NCAA to win three-straight singles titles. She also claimed her first-ever doubles crown alongside Victoria Yu '19 to become the first Division III women's tennis player since 2004 to win both the singles and doubles titles in the same year.
Chong and Yu headline an experienced and talented roster in 2018 that features four seniors, one junior, one sophomore and four freshmen. Wesleyan has qualified for the NCAA Tournament as a team in each of the past two seasons and reached the second round both years.
MEET THE TEAM:
- Chong, who is also a two-time NESCAC Player of the Year and 2015 NESCAC Rookie of the Year, is coming off a season in which she went 15-0 in No. 1 singles and 13-0 in No. 1 doubles. This fall, the sensational senior swept the ITA Division III Oracle Cup singles and doubles titles. Alongside Yu, the doubles tandem also defeated the NAIA and Division II champions to qualify for the ITA Fall National Championships against all Division I opponents. The dynamic duo reached the quarterfinals by defeating teams from the University of North Carolina and the University of Kentucky. In singles action, Chong lost to a Division I opponent from the University of Denver in the first round.
- Yu, who was a First Team All-NESCAC doubles selection and Second Team honoree in singles play, had a breakout sophomore campaign in which she boasted a 14-3 record in singles action including a 12-3 mark in the No. 2 spot and a 2-0 record in the No. 1 position.
- Fried also welcomes back seniors Aashli Budhiraja, Helen Klass-Warch and Nicole McCann. Budhiraja went 8-5 last year with a 6-4 record in No. 3 singles and 2-0 mark in the No. 2 spot. Klass-Warch was 4-1 in No. 3 singles and McCann was 9-6 overall.
- In her first collegiate season, Julia Kim '20 owned a 4-1 singles record including a perfect 3-0 mark in the No. 6 position.
- Klass-Warch and McCann played 10 matches at No. 2 doubles last year, posting a 7-3 record while going 12-3 overall.
- Joining the team in 2017-18 are freshmen Daniela Alvarez, Polina Kiseleva, Zoe Klass-Warch and Alissa Nakamoto. In the fall, Nakamoto won the doubles title of the B draw at the New England Women's Intercollegiate Tennis Tournament (NEWITT) alongside McCann, while Alvarez claimed the doubles crown in the C draw with Kim as her partner.