Location: Cambridge, Mass. (MIT)
Invitational: Gordon Kelly Invitational
Date: Saturday, February 11th
The Lead: The Wesleyan University women's track and field team won four events as it took part in the Gordon Kelly Invitational, which was held Saturday on the campus of MIT. In addition, five Cardinals competed at the two-day David Hemery Invitational at Boston University as Jenny Aguiar '19 set a program record in the 400-meter dash with a time of 57.27.
- The 800-meter race saw sophomore Julia Mitchell claim first overall with her time of 2:26.73, which qualifies her for the Division III New England Championships. Sylwia Lipior '18 finished third with a personal record time of 2:27.85 and Christina Hebner '17 finished right behind her in fourth with a mark of 2:28.99.
- Mitchell won the mile run with her time of 5:22.92, which qualifies her for the DIII New England Championships.
- In the 5,000-meter race, senior Joie Akerson crossed the line first with a time of 19:15.02.
- The Cardinals 4x200 relay team of Reilly, Alex Dibrindisi '19, Katie Maehl '19 and Tess Holland '18 finished first overall with their mark of 1:57.21.
- Isabella Reilly '19 finished the 600-meter race in 1:42.81, which was good enough for a second place finish.
- Senior Nikita Rajgopal claimed second in the 1,000-meter event, crossing the line in 3:09.82.
- In the 3,000-meter race, Rosie Skovron '20 finished in fifth with a time of 11:21.52.
- At BU, Claudia Schatz '19 ran an indoor PR of 2:21.27 and qualified for the Division III New England Championships in the 800-meter run. In the mile run, Molly Schassberger '17 and Caroline Elmendorf '17 both moved up throughout their races and used even splits to run new PR's. Schassberger ran 5:05.23 to place third in her heat and qualify for both the Division III and Open New England Championships. Elmendorf was fifth in her heat in 5:11.70, good enough to qualify for DIII's. In a field of 230 total competitors, Schassberger was ninth among Division III runners and Elmendorf was 16th. Rhoen Fiutak '19 finished off the evening with a 15 second PR in the 3000. Her time of 10:25.23 is a DIII qualifier.
- Tara Peng '20 finished eighth in the high jump, as she cleared 1.47m.
- In the pole vault, Colleen O'Neil '18 would clear a height of 2.97m, which was good enough for tenth place. Casey Rothschild '20 also cleared 2.97m.
- Maehl finished the long jump in tenth with a mark of 4.65m.
- Rothschild claimed second place in the triple jump with a mark of 10.81m.
- Caroline Diemer '18 threw for a mark of 13.12m in the weight throw event which was good enough for seventh place.
- Qualified athletes will return to MIT next weekend (Friday and Saturday) to compete in the New England Division III Championships.