STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Freshman Ivie Uzamere of the Wesleyan University women's track & field team placed 10th overall in the weight throw with a mark of 14.84 meters during her collegiate debut on Friday, as the Cardinals competed in the Wagner Invitational at the Ocean Breeze Athletic Complex in Staten Island, N.Y.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Jenny Aguiar kicked off her 2018 season with a 10th-place outing during the 500m with a time of 1:23.57, while freshman Isis Gaddy was also strong during her first collegiate meet, claiming 20th-place recognition in the 200m (26.96) and 22nd-place honors during the 60m (8.29).
- Senior Tess Holland placed 20th in the 400m (1:03.37), while sophomore Sydney Forrest finished 12th in the pole vault (2.85).
- Wesleyan was strong during the shot put event, as freshman Camille Balicki (19th, 11.06), Uzamere (24th, 10.54) and senior Caroline Diemer (26th, 10.31) all placed in the top-26 overall. Diemer also took home 21st-place acknowledgement the weight throw with a mark of 12.93.
- Freshman Anne Peartree ran a solid race during the 60m, clocking a time of 8.73, and then following up with a time of 28.84 during the 200m. Freshman Carolina Mahedy clocked a time of 9.30 in the 60m, while crossing the finish line in a time of 30.29 during the 200m.
- Freshman Charlotte Mittenthal represented the Cardinals during the 60m (9.09) and in the 400m (1:09.37). Senior Colleen O'Neill suited up for the pole vault, finishing with a mark of 2.70.
- The Cardinals will be back in action on Saturday, Jan. 13, for the Indoor Little Three Championship (noon) at the Bacon Field House in Middletown, Conn.