Score: Wesleyan 3, Eastern Connecticut State University 1 (22-25, 25-11, 25-12, 25-19)
Records: Wesleyan (5-1); ECSU (9-4)
Location: Willimantic, Conn. (Francis E. Geissler Gymnasium)
Date: Tuesday, September 20
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: Freshman Stasie Litinsky served six service aces, and the Wesleyan University volleyball team recorded 12 total, as the Cardinals recovered from a first set loss to win three straight over Eastern Connecticut State University Tuesday night, 3-1.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- The Warriors led early in the first set and closed out the victory on a kill from Carly Balskus.
- Madeleine Lundberg '19 and Litinsky led the Cardinals in set two with five kills and three service aces, respectively. Wesleyan jumped out to a commanding 13-3 lead and never looked back as it cruised to a 14-point win to even the match.
- The Cardinals maintained their momentum in the third set. Leading 17-10, the visitor's outscored Eastern 8-2 down the stretch to take the lead in the match, 2-1.
- Knotted at 11-11 in the fourth set, a kill and solo block by Bennett, as well as a service ace by Kaira Muraoka-Robertson '20 put Wesleyan up 14-11. The Cardinals never looked back en route to the 25-19 victory and a 3-1 win in the match.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Bennett led the way offensively for Wesleyan as she connected on 11-of-12 attack attempts, including her first eight in a row. Nicole Hilton '20 went 8-for-12 without an error, as the Cardinals recorded a .324 hitting percentage as a team.
- Muraoka-Robertson dished out 30 assists in her first collegiate game, while Olivia Guidotti '20 recorded 13 digs. Lundberg, Bennett and Hilton each had three blocks.
- Adrianna Mihalek totaled 13 kills for the Warriors, while Caryn Sibiski posted seven. Michelle Valliere had three service aces and Mihalek registered 11 digs.
- The Cardinals are back in action Friday, Sept. 23 to play in-state rival Trinity at 7 p.m.
- Eastern returns to the court Saturday, Sept. 24 to face UMass Boston on the road at 1 p.m.