Score: Wesleyan 3, Trinity 2 (20-25, 25-22, 22-25, 25-19, 15-9)
Records: Wesleyan (6-1, 3-0 NESCAC); Trinity (1-6, 0-3 NESCAC)
Location: Hartford, Conn. (Ray Oosting Gymnasium)
Date: Friday, September 23
Time: 7 p.m.
The Lead: Sarah Swenson '18 and Nicole Hilton '20 recorded 15 and 12 kills, respectively, to help lead the Wesleyan University women's volleyball team to a thrilling 3-2 win over in-state rival Trinity College Friday night in NESCAC action.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Despite recording 12 kills in the first set, the Cardinals fell short 25-20.
- Wesleyan retaliated with a 25-22 win in the second, before dropping the third by an identical score.
- Trailing 2-1 in the match, Wesleyan rallied in the fourth and recorded 14 kills with a .324 hitting percentage en route to 25-19 win to force a decisive fifth set.
- It was all Cardinals in the final frame as they pulled away to remain perfect in NESCAC play thus far, 15-9.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS:
- Swenson and Hilton were incredibly efficient, recording hitting percentages of .379 and .474, respectively. Gabby Bennett '20 added eight kills, and Kelsey Tam '19 dished out 18 assists. Olivia Guidotti '20 tallied 19 digs, while Rachel Savage '17 added 16.
- Trinity was led by Hanna Engstrom, who registered 15 kills, and Randi Whitham controlled the offense with 40 assists. She also recorded 14 digs for the double-double, and Grace Metry added 12.
- Wesleyan tallied a .292 hitting percentage, and the Bantams hit a .232 mark.
- Wesleyan and Trinity return to Ray Oosting Gymnasium tomorrow and will both play Colby-Sawyer and Husson. The Cardinals are schedule to face Colby-Sawyer at 1 p.m. and Husson at 5 p.m.