MIDDLETOWN, Conn. – The Wesleyan University women's cross country team opened its 2017 season on Friday with a bang at the Wesleyan Invitational, as the Cardinals claimed the top-two slots on the individual side and placed eight runners in the top-nine overall during an 18-45 victory over Post in Middletown, Conn.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Junior Julia Mitchell, who placed 28th overall at the 2016 NESCAC Championship, showcased her immense skill set in the season-opening meet, taking home first-place honors out of a field of 13 runners with a time of 18:59 on the 3-mile course.
- Freshman Becky Lopez-Anido hit the ground running, as she earned runner-up recognition during her first collegiate meet with a time of 19:01. Sophomore Sara Pinsonault, who was the Cardinals' fourth-place performer at the NESCAC Championship last fall, was the squad's third-place finisher on Friday, finishing fourth overall with a time of 19:14.
- Junior Rhoen Fiutak was the fourth Cardinal to cross the finish line (19:15), while sophomore Rosie Skovron rounded out the host's top-five, placing sixth overall with a mark of 19:33.
- Seniors Morgan Findley (19:49) and Sylwia Lipior (20:37), and junior Carina Flaherty (21:22) all performed admirably, placing seventh, eighth and ninth overall, respectively.
- Sophomore Kendall Fitzgerald ran a great race for the Eagles, as she was the team's first-place finisher (19:02) and was the third runner overall to cross the finish line.
- The Cardinals will be back in action on Friday, Sept. 29, as the squad will compete at the Paul Short Run, which is hosted by Lehigh University in Bethlehem, Pa. Wesleyan will then participate in the Little Three meet on Saturday, Oct. 14, at Williams in Williamstown, Mass.