NEW GLOUCESTER, Maine – The big stage on Saturday afternoon did not intimidate Becky Lopez-Anido, as the freshman star on the Wesleyan University women's cross country team placed 24th overall out of 144 finishers during the 2017 NESCAC Championships at Pineland Farms in New Gloucester, Maine.
The Cardinals finished seventh overall out of the other 11 NESCAC schools with a team score of 194, clearing eighth place by two points and trailing sixth by six. For the second straight year, Williams earned first-place recognition with 62 points, while senior Nicky Roberts of Amherst finished first overall on the 6-kilometer course with a time of 21:19.9.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Lopez-Anido, who has now led the Cardinals in three consecutive meets, compiled a time of 23:16.9. The Orono, Maine native finished second overall at the Wesleyan Invitational (Sept. 15) and fifth during the Women's White event at the Paul Short Run (Sept. 29), as the Cardinals grabbed first-place honors at both meets.
- Sophomore Sara Pinsonault was the unit's second-place finisher, as she was the 38th runner to cross the finish line, clocking a time of 23:38.5. The Sparta, N.J. native, who has been one of the squad's top-three finishers in all four meets this season, moved up 24 slots on the individual side compared to her 2016 performance at the conference meet.
- Junior Julia Mitchell was the third Cardinal to finish the race, placing 40th overall with a mark of 23:39.6. Freshman Emma Trapani grabbed 48th-place honors with a time of 23:46.9, as she was the 18th runner to cross the finish line at the Little Three Championship on Oct. 14.
- Rounding out the scoring for Wesleyan was sophomore Rosie Skovron (55th overall), as she was squad's fifth-place finisher for the third time this fall, clocking in with a time of 24:00.3.
- Junior Rhoen Fiutak placed 56th overall for the group with a time of 24:00.4, and rookie Lizzie Edwards also perfected exceptionally during her first time on the big stage, notching 66th-place recognition with a time of 24:23.5. Other strong perfomances for Wesleyan came from senior Morgan Findley (25:01.0) and senior Sylwia Lipior (25:29.7).
- The Cardinals will turn their focus to the New England Regional Championship, which takes place on Saturday, Nov. 11, in Gorham, Maine.