BOSTON, Mass. - The Wesleyan women's cross country team raced to an impressive third place finish at the 2018 NESCAC Championships on Saturday morning. The meet was hosted by Tufts University and took place at Franklin Park in Boston, Mass. Third place honors is the highest finish in the NESCAC Championship meet for the Cardinals since 1984, when they won their first title.
Fifth-ranked Middlebury were crowned NESCAC Champions, placing five runners in the top-15 en route to its 14th title and first since 2014. No. 13 Williams earned runner-up honors with three competitors in the top-10.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Wesleyan was led by duo Sara Pinsonault and Becky Lopez-Anido, who crossed the finish line seventh and eighth, respectively. Pinsonault covered the 6k course in 22:51, while Lopez-Anido clocked in just seven seconds later (22:58).
- Rhoen Fiutak was not far behind, finishing with a time of 23:15, good for 18th place.
- Julia Mitchell and Emma Trapani rounded out the top-five for Wesleyan, finishing just 22 seconds apart. Mitchell covered the course in 23:20, while Trapani clocked in at 23:42.
- Abigail Pipkin and Mary Brenna Catus also had strong performances, crossing the finish line in 25:30 and 26:56 respectively.
- The Cardinals will be idle for one week, before returning to the trails on November 10th to compete at the 2018 NCAA New England Regionals hosted by Bowdoin. Wesleyan is looking to improve their impressive 9th place finish from last year, and continue on to the 2018 NCAA Championship.